Friday, November 12, 2010

SEE..... ME...........PLEASE!

Well, we have had three new therapist being introduced to us over the last few months here.... going into the new OVA program. It is great.. I get to pick what therapy center I would like to attend. ( they are either on the OVA provider list or they sign up ..seems so easy vs. scholarship application for the providers) Well sorry got sidetracked... back to the point of me blogging this am...

Had two very interesting therapy appointments with Ryan and his comments are once again... profound and so reveling.....

The emotions and feelings and thoughts my son has are truly heart wrenching at times. I share them on this blog..... because I know many children don't have the chance to be taught RPM and they are silenced.. left to live with their thoughts and emotions in isolation.. ...so we speak for them................

Ryan is eleven years old. He is no longer that cute tiny little therapy kid that most therapist deal with. So cute easy to play kiddy games with... he is a eleven the "teens" are right around the corner.

..... I find it interesting ... most parents have stopped private therapy or for sure reduced it by the time they are this age.( wonder if anyone collected data on why???) Maybe they feel school has that covered.. On another side note.... therapy for older kids should have a new creative.. model developed.. maybe joint groups.. something age appropriate.. different...( any therapist out there that is a cool suggestion from me and I know for sure Ryan!)

Moving on........ I would take the therapists lead many times when starting with a therapist... and I looked at them as the expert. In their training and understanding of the body, speech, body systems.. yep...........they are.........BUT.........I realized.........and I say this with great humility. I AM THE EXPERT WHEN IT COMES TO RYAN HARRIS. I KNOW MY SON. I KNOW..RYAN... once again I say this because of RPM... NOW I AM ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HE IS THINKING.... he has his "voice" I spend time with him... so I know how he thinks. So..now I tell them I will handle Ryan and as you learn who Ryan is.. then I will fade out.. and you will take the lead..........

So... he says yesterday to the new OT... When I asked him..do you have anything you want to share with XXXX .. what do you want to get out of OT.. and he says .

..WANT OT TO BE MEANINGFUL SEE MANY OT NOT SEE RYAN ........

Other comments: When I asked him about one therapist.. he said RYAN IS CAUTIOUS NOT SURE..... that blew me away..
Another comment to a therapist: "XX I LIKE YOU MANY ( Ryan's friends) STOP LISTENING CAUSE OTHERS MEAN.
Think about this.. Ryan said this last week.. to his slp therapist who was so gentle and calm and kind with him.. and he said........THANK YOU FOR SEEING RYAN MANY NOT SEE RYAN. I WANT TO SPEAK....

Before RPM...Ryan would have to just sit there and say nothing...to express his feeling..while people are putting all these demands on him...with RPM....he can express himself.. wonder why children with Autism lash out.........at times... they are trapped..

BUT ..What really is the kicker to all of this...............is at the moment in time when Ryan is touching each letter and I speak the word and the next word he slowly completes.... as his thought is being reveled to those who have the privilege to hear it.............

COMPASSION is being born.....

and how many people and how many different situations when Ryan shares his thoughts on his letter board... the barrier of silence is broken. tears and more tears come..... from those watching him..... and understanding takes place .they .......SEE.... Ryan at that very moment..

We should stop at nothing.. to make this a possiblity for all children. To "SEE" "THEM". ..the beauty is simply hidden in silence.. please ....lets break it............

No comments:

Post a Comment