Monday, February 15, 2010

Ryan's "BIG QUESTION"

Saturday night, I went searching for Ryan and found him sitting alone in the basement in our "Soma-esk" type room as we call it. ( For those of you who don't know, that means a room that is quiet and no visual distractions.) Ours has a big couch in it... and that's exactly where he was that quiet Saturday night. So, I said to Ryan, "I bet your sick of mom always asking you all these questions all the time." "How about you ask me a question.....any question you want." Then Dad walks in the room. I say, " Hey how about you ask Dad a question!" "We could ask "How" questions or "what" questions or "why" questions?" Trying to get him thinking about how to start a question. (Silly, because he already knows, but I still felt the need to tell him.) And then Ashley walks in the room. And Ryan writes W-H-A-T- N-O-T- T-O- D-O- S-O- I- H-A-V-E- O-T-H-E-R-S-T-O- P-L-A-Y- W-I-T-H As Ryan was pointing to each letter, Paul and I were both fighting back our tears. It made us sad because we thought he may be thinking that he was doing something wrong and people didn't want to play with him. So I said to him, " Oh Ryan, we didn't know you wanted more friends to play with." Dad said, You just have to tell us that's what you want and we'll make it happen buddy." It's our fault, not yours, we just haven't invited people over for you to play with. We had no idea that's what you wanted!" Then I said , " Well, who would you like to come over, you name them and we will ask them to come play!" Ryan writes, M-Y-N-E-I-G-H-B-O-RS. " Which neighbor would you like, he says, L-A-U-R-E-N- A-N-D- A-N-D-R-E-W.

So, the "BIG QUESTION" that socked us in the stomach that night... We had no idea again that he really liked and or wanted to play with others. Don't worry a new dawn has come to our home and we are going to be playing A LOT with the neighbors! It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment