Friday, June 4, 2010

Listen up everyone...ryan is teaching us how to Teach!

Ask me when you see me to explain what took place in more detail regarding teaching this IEP Goal.........so very interesting... but will try to explain

1. goal.......to look at completed colored picture choose the correct color crayon that matches each portion of that picture...then color duplicate picture that had not been colored correct color.
2. Showed Ryan 4 colored pencils.. asked him what color is this pencil..spelled out colors..new that was going to be WAY easy. So he knows the pencil colors green,yellow, red, orange
3. Drew out on index cards heart, butterfly, leaf and lollipop. Ryan with ease.. labeled on board item and its color. again.. he knows colors and items. EASY ( told him sorry this may seem silly to you.)

4. Then layed out .. starting on left side colored heart picture a duplicate picture with no color and then layed out the four colored pencils. I said... thinking he would easily grab the red pencil color the heart and be done! NOPE.. I told him grab the matching color pencil... grabbed green, restated.. grab the red pencil I want you to color the other heart red too.. Nope.. grabbed the first choice..closest to him..green..
5.So, I said this seems hard for you why do you think that??? He said. RYAN IS LIMITED WHEN REACHING OUT HARD TO SEE.
6. Oh.. I said.. Immediately grabbed the pencils spread them out between my fingers and pulled them really really close to Ryan to simulate his pointing board. DEAD ON CORRECT! YEP..
He shared: HE DEMONSTRATES NOT MOTOR SKILLS
NOT IDIOT
ON DIFFICULT ROUTINES JUST LIKE THE ONE WE DID REACHING OUT IS MUCH MORE TO SEE
WE MEAN TO MAKE TERESA PROUD WANT TO
so, I am holding back the tears.. and I let him know that being proud of you has nothing to do with performance......it has to do with the wonderful kind, loving person he is...
These kids want to do well and we are setting them up over and over again to FAIL... Shared this with my OT.. and the challenge is to help him get better without affecting his self esteem. Please anyone who reads this......think on this..... a well taught lesson from Ryan! Again...I am learning ................ we all are learning. It is all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment